New for 2022, we invite community gardens located within Shawnee County to sign up as Affiliate Gardens of Topeka Common Ground. (We define a community garden as a shared piece of land gardened by multiple households or groups of community members.) Beginning in 2022, only TCG Affiliate Gardens will be eligible to receive free seedlings or garden seeds from Topeka Common Ground, or to apply for TCG mini-grants.
2022 Affiliate Gardens:
- Countryside Community Garden
- Darden Garden
- Demonstration Community Garden, K-State Research & Extension
- First Congregational Community Garden
- Fox Ridge Community Garden
- French Middle School
- Garden of Eatin’
- Grattan Garden
- Hi-Crest Community Garden
- Kansas Children’s Discovery Center
- Last Stand Brand
- LULAC Senior Center Garden
- Oakland Gardens: A Community of Growers
- Peace Garden (formerly Exploring Life)
- Saint Matthew Catholic School Garden
- Scott Gardens
- Shawnee Heights United Methodist Church
- Shawnee Heights Elementary School
- TARC Day Services
- The Gardens at Bethany Place
- UUFT Community Garden
- VIDA Garden
- Whitson Elementary School Garden
- Williams Science Magnet School Garden
Benefits of Being a Topeka Common Ground Affiliate Garden:
- Free garden seeds
- Free vegetable starts and seedlings (cole crops, tomatoes, peppers, seed potatoes, onion sets, sweet potatoes)
- Eligibility to apply for funding support through TCG mini-grants
- Free participation in TCG workshops or educational programs
- Volunteer referrals through TCG
- Gardener referrals through TCG (if you have plots available for individual gardeners)
- Information about your garden featured on TCG website
- Signage for your garden identifying it as a TCG Affiliate Garden
- Opportunities to network with other TCG Affiliate Gardens
- Ability to post on our closed TCG Gardens Facebook Group
- Receive monthly TCG newsletter with information and tips on planting, garden management, funding sources, and more
- Opportunities to participate in the TCG Board/ Leadership Team
(Additional benefits may become available as the TCG Board is able to identify resources and negotiate access for our Affiliates)
Responsibilities of TCG Affiliate Gardens:
- Provide contact information for 1-2 individuals who serve as garden leaders or managers.
- Garden leaders will organize and manage their gardens and gardeners.
- Garden leaders will pass along information to individual gardeners from TCG.
- Encouraging your gardeners to employ environmentally-friendly, sustainable gardening methods.
- Periodically provide (minimal) statistical data about your garden and gardeners. This information will be used by TCG to document our community impact, and is helpful when approaching potential funders (photos are also invited and encouraged!)
- Following TCG guidelines for requesting and managing funding support through TCG mini-grants, including a brief follow-up report documenting how funds were used.
- Encouraging your gardeners or your garden group to donate surplus garden produce to local food pantries, kitchens, or other community food assistance programs.
There is no cost to sign up with us, but lots of great benefits. Sign up today!